Sunday, 13 January 2013

DIY Coconut Oil and Honey Hair Mask



Yes, I know I said I wouldn't be around too much because of exams, but it's precisely for that reason that I'm writing this post- essay and revision procrastination in its most simplest form. I decided to give this DIY hair treatment a go after hearing various good things about using coconut oil on your hair. So why not?
Coconut oil is said to be one of the best things you can put on your hair as it really nourish and moisturises it as it helps stop protein loss from your hair so if you're a curly girl like me, this is great! It's also said to be great at combating scalp issues such as dandruff. I got mine from an Indian shop near to where I live but you can also order it online from place like Amazon. If you can try and get extra virgin, unrefined coconut oil as it will be in its purest form and therefore, easier for your hair to absorb.
Honey is yet another natural ingredient that helps your hair stay healthy and happy. It can also over time, naturally lighten your hair.
The egg is optional, but as everyone knows, eggs are a great source of protein and hair is essentially just one long strand of protein so a little extra can't hurt. And in case you're wondering, it won't make your hair smell like eggs. That would only happen if its gone off. It also helps tie all the ingredients together but it's not essential.

Here's what you'll need:
Coconut Oil
Honey
Egg (Optional)
Microwaveable Bowl
Towel
Shower cap/ clingfilm/ plastic bag

1. Take your coconut oil and put the desired amount into a microwaveable bowl. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature
2. Melt it in the microwave for about 50 seconds and then stir the rest until it's completely melted. Be careful as we don't want the oil to be too hot- it should be warm to touch
3. Add the honey. About 1 tbsp should do it, you don't need too much or else it gets sticky very easily 
4. Re warm it in the microwave if necessary so that all the ingredients are liquid and smooth
5. Add the egg (optional)
6. Whisk all the ingredients together.
7. Grab a towel round your shoulders and, working from the tips up, work it into your hair
8. Leave on for 30-40 mins and keep it wrapped up and covered
9. Wash out with a small amount of shampoo

And that's it! It doesn't matter if you don't get all the residue out as a little bit left on overnight, will do no harm and then you can just wash your hair the next morning as normal. Your hair will be left smooth and shiny. Some people recommend this as a regular treatment to combat damaged or dry hair and it's definately something I will be considering to keep my hair healthy as possible.

Let me know if you try it!
Hope you've had a good weekend 
xx



21 comments:

  1. Oh wow I need to get hold of some coconut oil and try this, my hair is being a pain in my bum recently! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really does work as i had split end and they seemed to vanish after using it. the oil is a little expensive but you can get it from tesco's Asda or morrisons

      Delete
  2. i nominated you for an award :)
    http://belle-glamour.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! amazing
    follow u hope u follow me back
    kisses
    http://dianadmoda.blogspot.com.es/2013/01/you-can-leave-your-hat-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying it right this second... the honey is sticky for sure, but i can see how this would be a great idea.. i'll let you know how it goes !

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really good treatment! But I have to say PLEASE AVOID MICROWAVE, otherwise you are just putting oil on your hair without all the good properties of d coconut oil, the honey and d egg! I'm serious! Microwave destroys the important molecules in everything! Try to heat very low in a saucepan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea about the microwave! Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
  6. Hey!
    I also have curly thin hair and it has gone all wack after having a baby.

    So I tried this last night, I used a tablespoon of coconut oil, an egg and a teaspoon of honey. Melted the coconut oil in a bowl over another bowl of boiling water which worked very well, smelt so nice like coconut biscuits, mmmm.

    I left on for an hour, and washed out with mild shampoo. I toweldried then blowdried my hair before going to bed.

    Anyway - my hair looks amazing! Shiny, soft and managable. I have had a number of comments at work of people asking what I did to my hair.

    Thanks for the guide, will be doing this OFTEN.



    ReplyDelete
  7. My coconut oil melts as soon as I'm holding the bowl it's in so I don't even need to heat it. The honey mixes right in as I whisk it. I haven't done it with an egg before but I'll have to try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, LOVE how amazing my hair felt after using this mask! Not to mention that this is so much more affordable that big salon brand hair masks. Plus, I know exactly what ingredients are being used. My normally coarse/slightly frizzy hair loved the extra moisture, and stayed smooth and silky for a couple of days after using the mask. Thanks so much for this recipe, I recommend it to anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For many centuries, our ancestors have used coconut oil in their daily lives.Essence of Eden Based in Oxfordshire, Eden of Essence provide pure organic extra virgin coconut oil to a range of wholesalers and health food shops across the UK. Buy online or call 0800 458 2928.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been using honey and coconut oil in my hair on a regular basis. As I am trying to grow my hair longer and keep it healthy I have been treating my hair with the honey-coconut oil mixture and leaving it in my hair (wrapped with a plastic bag) for 30 minutes. I then wash my hair twice and use conditioner leaving it in my hair for at least 5 minutes. I blow dry my hair (however I take steps not to use too much heat, and as it is only once a week it isn't too bad). What I have noticed is my hair is softer, more manageable, and stronger than it used to be. There was a time I would run my hand through my hair and get a handful of hair, now it is less and less. I also invested in a 100% Boar Bristled brush and now religiously brush my hair in the morning and at night (and some times in between) it has made a big difference. I am glad I started.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trying it now but I accedently left the yolks in the eggs and didn't really measure but surely ill get some results my hair drys out really quickly and would like it grow it out after cutting four inches off the other day so we shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do this treatment TWICE a week but I only use the egg in one of the treatments because too much protein can cause your hair to break off. It makes my hair so soft and shiny. My hair has gotten so much longer since I've been using this treatment regularly. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't tried honey and coconut oil on my hair but eat it on toast for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to try this as I'm coming off four solid days of blow drying, teasing, back combing and styling my naturally curly hair. One question. Should your hair be wet or dry when you apply the mask?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can this be done on wet hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Wet or dry hair, it works either way. It is easier to apply to wet/damp hair though....

      Delete
  16. Im trying the hair mask as we speak but as soon as i put the mask on my hair got really sticky and i cant even comb it ! im scared that when i wash it out the honey wont go out and that my hair is going to fall off when i try to comb it! :S

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have straight/wavy hair and I have been using this mask religiously for 3 months now and my hair has never been so beautiful. It used to get frizzy and wasn't shiny and got tangled very easily, but ever since I started using coconut oil on my hair, it is stunning.
    I don't always put honey in it, but I do use this mask whenever I wash my hair (which is like maximum twice a week). I know I don't wash my hair as much as other people but that has helped my hair in so many ways because generic shampoos strip your hair of all the natural oils that protect it, and I stopped using heat completely. I am so happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanku so much for the tips.....i have been trying to grow my hairs for so long but after sometime it goes frizzy nd brittle nd eventually would have to trim it.... but this mask along with hot oil treatment has made all the difrence... thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I read every single one :)

UA-39379170-1