Tuesday, 20 December 2011

Battle of Two Mascaras- Rimmel Day to Night VS Revlon Grow Luscious- Review


So, in a recent bid to branch out and try new make up and in a move away from my beloved Max Factor 2000 Calorie Lash Mascara, I decided to try a new mascara. So, first into the ring is...

Rimmel Day to Night Mascara- £7.99


As you can see, it consists of a trick double wand where the Length wand goes down and in the middle of the Volume wand (at least that's what I've worked it out to be) You use one wand followed by the other if you want both length and volume- which I most definitely do.

I have to confess I have tiny eyelashes- if I were to look straight on at you, without mascara, you probably wouldn't even see them.


Seeeee?! Barely anything there. 
*this is an old photo before I discovered mascara and also excuse the eyebrows*
So it's always a massive thing to me for me to find a good mascara.

Anyway, onto Rimmel...
I HATE this mascara. It's rubbish. For me, at any rate.
The formula of the mascara is dire- it is far to liquid-y if you know what I mean. I know mascaras tend to take a while to get to the right sort of consistency but with this one, it has just not happened. 
Combined with the Volume brush, which is far too big, it's a disaster. It sticks like crazy. Too much product build up in between the bristles so if you want more than one coat- good luck. It will be a classic case of fat spider legs stuck to your eyes. I had to use an old mascara wand to separate my lashes out again.
The only good thing about it is the 'length' wand on its own which does add length on its own but needs several coats to build up a noticeable look.
As I quickly abandoned this mascara, I will hold my hand up and say I don't have any photos of this. I just really dislike it that much

However all is not lost, mis amores, as a new contender has arrived.

Revlon Grow Luscious Plumping Mascara- £9.99


My new love. 
It is equal or just pipping Max Factor 2000 Calorie to the top spot mascara.
It ticks all my boxes ;)
The wand size is just right. The consistency is great from the first application. It gives me length and volume without the spiders and I can easily apply 3 coats without it clumping and it is only £2 more expensive than Rimmel.
It won out over Max Factor False Lash Effect, which also used to be one of my top mascaras, as I much prefer bristle wands than plastic. Much less painful when I stab myself in the eye with it. Unfortunately, a very common habit of mine.

I will edit and post photographic proof when I look less like a zombie from doing the breakfast service at work. I just wanted to write it all while it was fresh.

Have a good day!
Have you tried either of these?
xx

2 comments:

  1. Ately I've been finding it so hard to find a great mascara. I was thinking about trying the day to night, I used to use 2000 calorie mascara too. Thanks for posting, it was very informative x

    ReplyDelete
  2. so chic!

    http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I read every single one :)

UA-39379170-1